Wednesday 29 February 2012

IT professional opted for different job to stay near home - Business First of Louisville:

http://index-go.net/?f=3&n=3
“I looked at the programm at the and the one at he said. “I chose Sullivan becaus e of the smaller classes and the accessibilitu tothe professors. I felt it was the most up to date with what is goiny on in the real Henderson said about the factors influencing his Fora while, though, Henderson, 39, livedr in that state of limbo regarding where he woulfd live and work to gain experience in his newly selected profession. It was frustrating, especiallyg since he spent two yearse after leaving the Navy sending out resumews to get his foot in the door whileattendinh Sullivan, Henderson said. “Everyone wants someone with one, two, or five years experience in information he said.
Henderson said he was willing to movealmosft anywhere, especially someplace warm. Eventually, Henderson was offered a job in information technology withthe U.S. Army Humanm Resources Command in Arlington, Va. The Army is in the procesw of consolidating its command at Fort so he would be transferred back to Kentuckhin 2011. “The Army didn’t want to pay for my move to Arlingtonh but would have paid for my move back to he said. Henderson thought about it but decided that becausse he already owned a home here and his who had astroke recently, needed he would prefer to stay where he was. “ I wanted to get a job in civip service,” he said.
“After my military career, I knew that civil service followed thesame rules, and I could move around as job opportunitiex appeared.” Perseverance paid off. In September, Hendersoh was offered the jobhe wanted. He accepted a position at Fort Knox withthe U.S. Army Contractint Agency, where he now works as contrac t administrator forMission & Installation Contracting “My division manages the signed contract s between military and civilian companies,” he said. “Ang supplies, services or advertising that the Army canno t get through the military have to be provided by civilian vendors.
” Although not the IT job he was looking for, Henderson said he was delightedx with his job and the people he works for and with. And since his time in the Navy was spentin contracting, budget and supply, he brings that knowledge with him. “Actualluy my IT degree turned out to be to my advantagse in gettingthe job,” he said. “When commands need to purchasedcomputer equipment, I will be able to help them with what they My degree was one of my selling points.” Hendersonm will begin courses in January to earn a master’d degree in management and dispute resolutions at Sullivan University.
Being an older student — he was the oldest in his clasw — made for a good experience, he He learned from the younger students, and they learnecd from him. “Many of the students I graduateed with wanted to start their own he said. “Some wanted a betterf paying job. A lot of them lookedf out of state but ended up staying Louisville has a lot to Henderson said, speaking from the experience of havinhg traveled with the Navy. “I have lived in and there are way too many people there and the traffifis terrible,” he said. “Itt is not near as congested here. And the people here are more hospitable than they are in somebiggeer cities.
” Henderson has a one-year probationn period with his new job, and after who knows where his experience and knowledge will take him. “I really like the job,” he “It is a good command, and there are a lot of promotionm opportunities. People senior to me will be readg to retire in two to 10 and civil service hiresfrom within. I luckexd out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment